NYC Domestic Violence Defense Attorney
Fighting Domestic Violence Charges in the Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Queens, and Staten Island
In their lifetime, one in 4 women will become a victim of domestic violence. These facts indicate the severity of domestic violence crimes and why they carry serious penalties upon conviction. If you are facing domestic violence charges, it is important to procure the services of a legal professional that is knowledgeable about domestic violence laws and strategic defenses in New York. H. Benjamin Perez & Associates, P.C. is here to help.
Domestic violence is an abusive action in which men, women, and children alike can be targeted. These cases are serious due to the severe consequences that can follow, which include your reputation getting tainted and registering as a sex offender. Sex offender registration can affect your employment options, family life, and where you can live.
How Can A Domestic Violence Case Be Dropped?
Frequently, offenders accept a plea deal for fear of being found guilty of something much even worse, even if the district attorney's case against you is exceptionally weak in a domestic violence case. You should hire a New York City criminal defense lawyer who can challenge the charges early and aggressively to limit the damage.
Types of Domestic Violence
It is estimated that nearly 3 million women every year are victims of abuse in their own homes. While the majority of domestic violence victims are women, men can be the target of domestic violence as well.
If abuse occurs between family members (i.e. parents, children, spouses, and siblings), it is categorized as domestic in nature. For example, when a child observes the abuse of one parent by the other or is physically, verbally, or emotionally abused themselves, it is considered domestic violence.
Domestic violence can occur in many forms, including:
New York Domestic Violence Charges:
- NY Penal Law § 120.10 – First Degree Assault
- NY Penal Law § 120.05 – Second Degree Assault
- NY Penal Law § 120.00 – Third Degree Assault
- NY Penal Law § 240.30 – Aggravated Harassment in the Second Degree
- NY Penal Law §§ 215.50, 215.51 – Criminal Contempt
- NY Penal Law § 215.52 – Aggravated Criminal Contempt
- NY Penal Law § 120.55 – Stalking in the Second Degree
- NY Penal Law § 120.50 – Stalking in the Third Degree
- NY Penal Law § 120.45 – Stalking in the Fourth Degree
- NY Penal Law § 120.14 – Menacing in the Second Degree
- NY Penal Law § 120.15 – Menacing in the Third Degree
- NY Penal Law § 121.11 – Obstruction of Breathing or Blood Circulation
- NY Penal Law § 121.12 – Strangulation in the Second Degree
- NY Penal Law § 260.10 – Endangering the Welfare of a Child
How Can A Domestic Violence Lawyer In New York City Help Me?
If you or a loved one was recently charged with domestic violence, it is critical to get the legal help that you need as soon as possible. An experienced lawyer will be able to guide you through every step of the legal way, and ensure that you are equipped with all of the legal information that you need to protect yourself.
A domestic violence lawyer will take care of the following:
- Providing you with legal information
- Protecting your rights and your reputation
- Handling paperwork involved with your domestic violence charge
- Examining your case and creating a strong defense strategy
- Representing you in court and fighting for a favorable outcome
- Gathering strong evidence to support your case
- Being by your side to encourage you and offer you psychological support
When you hire a domestic violence lawyer at the criminal defense law offices of H. Benjamin Perez & Associates, P.C., you are not only going to be working with a legal professional who knows the ins and outs of the legal system, but also with a person who genuinely cares about you and your specific situation. Our attorneys have helped many struggling with domestic violence charges, and are here to help protect your future, your right, and your reputation.
Contact our team of attorneys in New York City today, and let us help fight for your rights.
Need a Domestic Violence Lawyer in New York City?
Looking for an attorney for domestic violence or orders of protection in NYC? In many cases, domestic violence claims are made against family members out of retaliation. Unfortunately, once a claim has been made, the police are still obligated to arrest the alleged perpetrator. If this scenario is similar to yours, our firm has the necessary legal resources to investigate and defend your position.
At H. Benjamin Perez & Associates, P.C., we have the skills and experience to bring about an aggressive, successful domestic violence defense for you. We are fluent in both Spanish and English and we represent clients in all areas of criminal defense law including violent crimes.