Orders of Protection

NYC Divorce Attorney: Orders of Protection

Stop Domestic Violence with Orders of Protection

Victims of domestic violence can seek protection by petitioning the court for an order of protection. Orders of protection are issued to cease all abuse, threats, stalking, or physical assault and battery on the part of the abuser. Depending on the severity of the abuse, orders of protection can also include ceasing all forms of contact with the victim, which includes no phone calls, contact via the internet, by mail or in person.

Enforcement of Orders of Protection

The state of New York enforces an order of protection for the duration of 1 year minimum. The victim can request a renewal of the order of protection upon its expiration. The victim can also request a permanent order of protection after a hearing before the court.

Victims of domestic abuse can file for orders of protection against the following individuals:

  • Any household member
  • Any blood relative
  • Parents that have a child together
  • Individuals that have lived together in the past
  • Married or divorced people

Looking for a lawyer for your divorce in New York City? At H. Benjamin Perez & Associates, P.C., a NYC divorce lawyer can rapidly put an end to domestic violence by immediately filing for an order of protection. Our firm's understanding of divorce laws, as well as our extensive experience with criminal defense cases, has helped clients obtain swift protection from their abuser. We are dedicated to offering sound legal support and guidance. We can also assist Spanish speaking families.

Obtaining Orders of Protection in New York

A Family Court order protects you from abuse by someone close to you such as your spouse, ex-spouse, someone with whom you had a child, or anyone related to you by blood or marriage. The Family Court can also issue an order of protection against someone deemed to have an “intimate relationship” with you. An “intimate relationship” is one that goes beyond being casual. After considering the facts provided about the relationship and how long it has lasted, the court makes this determination.

Where no arrests are made and the police are not involved, you must go to the Family Court to have a Family Court order of protection issued. You will need to appear in court after filing the petition. The judge decides if your case warrants a temporary NYC order of protection after reviewing this petition. The judge first issues a temporary order because the person against whom you are requesting the NYCorder of protection is not present in the courtroom at this time. On a future date, you and the other party will appear in court. If at that time the issue between you and the other party is not resolved, you will need to hire an attorney and prepare to go to trial. The Family Court appoints an attorney to handle your case if you cannot afford one.

If the District Attorney petitions the court to issue a warrant or if law enforcement makes an arrest, then you may pursue a Criminal Court order of protection.

Regardless of which type of order is issued, it will legally require your abuser to do any of the following:

  • Stay away from you and any members of your household as determined by the court.
  • Leave and/or stay away from your home.
  • Stay away from your workplace or any other location determined by the court.
  • Cease all communication with you.
  • Receive counseling.
  • Pay your attorney’s fees, medical expenses, or other damages you suffered as a result of the abuse.
  • Allow you, under police protection, to retrieve any belongings you may have at the residence.
  • Surrender any guns.

Both the Family Court and Criminal Court consider any previous abusive acts, any possible drug and/or alcohol use, the level of seriousness of the abuse or threats against you, and whether your abuser obeyed any previous orders to determine what is needed for your protection.

We work with clients in Manhattan, Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens, and Staten Island.

Need a Divorce Lawyer in New York City?

If an order of protection is violated in any way, it could lead to criminal charges. Depending on the gravity of the violation, the offender could be charged with a misdemeanor or a felony. It is strongly recommended to secure aggressive legal representation if you are the victim of domestic abuse. Our firm has helped clients finally put an end to this abuse. If you were wrongly accused of domestic abuse, we can also help fight for your rights and seek justice. Searching for an attorney for your divorce in New York City? You need the best divorce lawyer in New York City!

Contact our office to consult an NYC divorce lawyer if you need legal assistance with orders of protection.


Contact Us Today!

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.
  • By submitting, you agree to be contacted about your request & other information using automated technology. Message frequency varies. Msg & data rates may apply. Text STOP to cancel. Acceptable Use Policy