New York City Immigration Lawyer
Call (646) 770-0989 for Experienced & Skilled Legal Counsel
At H. Benjamin Perez & Associates, P.C., we are committed to help you achieve your immigration goals. Our New York City immigration attorney can thoroughly review your case, figure out all your available legal options, and ensure you complete USCIS applications correctly, as well as protect your rights and best interests during immigration proceedings.
What is Crimmigration?
When an immigrant—including green card holders—violates U.S. immigration laws, they can be deported from the country by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). One of the most common ways for individuals to undergo removal proceedings is by getting convicted of certain crimes.
The following are the major categories of deportable crimes:
- Crimes of Moral Turpitude (CIMTs) – These crimes involve the antisocial behavior that harms another individual or society as a whole. Common CIMTs include grand theft, burglary, forgery, arson, kidnapping, and even repeated DUI felonies.
- Aggravated felonies – Certain felony convictions can result in deportation. Common aggravated felonies include murder, rape, child sex crimes, theft crimes that are punishable by more than one-year imprisonment, fraud involving at least $10,000, operating or supervising a prostitution business, and illicit firearm trafficking.
- Drug crimes – Nearly all drug offenses can result in deportation. Common drug crimes include simple possession, possession with intent to sell, drug sale or distribution, drug trafficking, drug manufacturing, and even drug addiction.
- Firearm crimes – Crimes involving guns or destructive devices can lead to deportation. Common firearm crimes include illegal possession, purchase, sale, exchange, or use of any gun or explosive.
- Domestic violence – Lastly, a conviction of a domestic violence offense can lead to deportation. Common domestic violence crimes include domestic battery, child abuse, and violating a restraining order.
Finding the right lawyer to help you avoid a criminal conviction and deportation can be difficult since viable candidates must have in-depth knowledge of both criminal and immigration laws. Fortunately, our New York City crimmigration attorney has extensive experience in both criminal defense and immigration to provide an effective and personalized legal strategy to help you avoid serious criminal penalties and cancel removal proceedings.