New York City Divorce Lawyer
Top-Rated Divorce Representation in New York City
No divorce matter is the same, as no two couples are alike. Their needs and goals differ from other spouses’, which is why it’s essential to depend on attorneys who are well-versed in all types of divorce. Our highly trained New York City divorce lawyers are equipped to handle a variety of cases, no matter how complex.
Uncontested vs. Contested Divorce in New York
New York law allows for a no-fault divorce. Although you will no longer be required to establish grounds for the divorce — other than the marriage being irretrievably broken — all of the issues regarding property division, child and spousal support, and custody still must be resolved. This is where you need a skilled trial attorney from our firm to represent your rights.
- Uncontested: If you and your spouse can agree on the terms of your divorce, your New York City divorce attorney can act as a mediator and establish the details and conditions of your divorce.
- Contested: If there is contention and disagreement in the divorce, then a judge will decide your future.
Benefits of Hiring a Divorce Lawyer vs. Representing Yourself
If you are not familiar with the divorce process, it may be extremely difficult to accurately fill out paperwork, take the necessary steps to protect yourself and your children, and follow court procedures correctly. In the end, it can be much more expensive and riskier to represent yourself rather than working with an experienced New York City divorce attorney who can handle your legal issues accurately and strategically.
A divorce case can take unexpected twists and turns, involving issues such as:
Motions for contempt for non-compliance with the court's orders and motions to modify existing support or custody orders due to substantial changes in your circumstances may be necessary actions when you are undergoing a divorce. As such, you must address these issues accordingly with the help of our New York City divorce attorney to best prevent making costly mistakes that could hurt you and your family’s livelihoods.
Other Family Law Matters
Other family law matters we can assist you with include:
- the drafting of prenuptial and postnuptial agreements
- parental alienation issues
- same sex marriage
- Marriage Equality Act in New York
- domestic violence (including orders of protection)
- rights of grandparents and fathers (including paternity issues)